We like to repost this article every year around this time. Remember to be safe this Independence Day. Please enjoy your 4th of July celebration responsibly.
Independence Day is right around the corner. It’s a time for celebrating our country’s independence with burgers and dogs, ice cream, games and, of course, fireworks. Children and adults love fireworks, and they can certainly add a “wow” factor to any celebration. However, it’s important to remember that fireworks are explosives, and explosives can be dangerous. Almost all of these fireworks are made in foreign countries and they may not have the same safety standards that you find in the United States.
Many states do not outlaw fireworks, and these fireworks can be nothing short of small mortars capable of causing severe injury or death. As for states that do outlaw fireworks, smaller less explosive fireworks are still available. These fireworks emit sparks of flame that can cause burns and even blindness.
What about snakes and sparklers. Harmless, right? While perhaps not as dangerous as the more explosive fireworks, sparklers and other incendiaries burn at about 2,000 degrees, which is hot enough to melt metal. Often these snakes or sparklers are left or thrown on the grown when finished. Most of us are old enough to remember stepping on a discarded sparkler thrown in the grass after dark. It was never a pleasant experience.
Fireworks can add to the fun of celebrating Independence Day. If you chose to use fireworks, please make sure to exercise proper precautions and safety. Nothing can ruin a fun celebration faster then a trip to the emergency room. For more information on the dangers of fireworks and safety measure to protect you and your guests, please visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission, here. Have a fun and safe Independence Day.